Pure Stevia Leaf: The Zero Sugar Sweetener
There are so many sweeteners out there....how do we know which one is actually okay to add to our food and drinks? Thanks to Body Love, by Kelly Leveque, I have learned that in order to sustain healthy eating habits it is important to maintain a healthy blood sugar level without dramatic high and low spikes. This Better Stevia by NOW has been the perfect answer for me to add a hint of sweetness to tonics, teas, coffees and other recipes.
- As we all know, large amounts of sugar can wreak havoc in our bodies and send our blood sugar into a spiral. (For more on sugar watch the Fed Up documentary on Netflix.)
- What happens when our blood sugar goes out of control? When blood sugar spikes above normal the body actually stores carbohydrates, and when it dips below normal, a few hours after having that overly sweet treat, the body craves carbohydrates because that is the fastest way to get glucose. Seriously read Body Love if you want a full understanding of this.
- But there are so many other sweetener substitutes out there why is Stevia better? Most substitutes are highly processed and are full of artificial sweeteners, additives and flavor.
- Stevia has zero sugar, no impact on your glycemic index (it does not make your blood sugar spike) and is extracted straight from the stevia leaf. Liquid stevia leaf is the purest form.
- Beware, there are a lot of stevia blends out there that are processed and actually don't contain the real stevia extract at all and are instead filled with additives that can be just as harmful as other artificial sweeteners.
- My favorite one is by Better Stevia by NOW. It is organic stevia extract and just a few drops makes anything sweeter. This will last you a while! Prime it HERE.
- Be sure to watch my Adpatogens 101 video to learn more and get my favorite nighttime tonic recipe to use it in.