Dr. Bronner's Toothpaste: For Cleaner, Healthier Teeth...Literally.
One switch to safer that is so simple is so easy is toothpaste. Yes there are hidden ingredients in there that you do not want in your mouth twice a day, every single day. If you have been making small switches to lower to toxic load and have found yourself sensitive to synthetic smells and flavors you'll appreciate this Dr. Bronner's Toothpaste.
- Common toothpaste brands include ingredients like: synthetic flavor, fluoride, PEG compounds and synthetic food coloring.
- The issue with synthetic coloring and flavor is that brands do not have to disclose what they are exactly composed of.
- PEG compounds (polyethylene glycol) are often times contaminated with two carcinogens: ethylene oxide and 1,4 dioxane. PEG's are used as thickening agents.
- Another tricky one is carrageenan. It is used for is thickening and gelling qualities from seaweed, but the problem is that it is not digestible and can cause inflammation and digestive issues if consumed regularly. Trust me it's easier to switch to safer than trying to pronounce it.
- What's the deal with fluoride? Many people will tell you that you need fluoride to strengthen your teeth and you will also hear that it is dangerous to your health. There are studies that show that fluoride is a neurotoxin and with all the fluoride in our drinking water (get a filter!) I figure there is no need for more. You can view these studies here and here.
- In order to err on the side of safety, especially since there are a lot of brands that are making fluoride free options that are easy and affordable to get, I choose to go fluoride free.
- Dr. Bronner's is a #doitbetter brand that is cruelty free, non gmo verified and they do their best to give back to our planet. Prime is HERE.
- The toothbrush in the picture above is by another brand I love Preserve. Learn more HERE.
- Life hack from the picture above: put eucalyptus in your bathroom for a refreshing smell and beautiful pop of green.