Collagen: For Stronger Hair, Nails, Joints and So Much More!
If you are at all into health and wellness collagen has probably been all over your feed or inboxes. What does this tasteless miracle powder actually do and why should you incorporate it into your daily routine? Let's start with what collagen is. Collagen is a protein in our bodies that is found in our bones, muscles, tendons, skin, digestive system and blood. If it already exists in our bodies then why should we add more to supplement? As we get older, our bodies natural collagen production slows down. Hello signs of aging! Because collagen is found in so many different ares of our bodies it has many benefits.
- Collagen is great for hair and nails. I have been using collagen for about six months and have seen a huge difference in my nails and eyelashes! My nails are hard as rocks and my eye lashes feel longer than ever.
- Collagen supports your skin by improving elasticity, aiding in replacing dead skin cells and creating firmer skin.
- Collagen's smooth structure provides the glue that allows our tendons and bones to glide smoothly when we move. It can aid in reducing joint pain and strengthen against degeneration.
- You've probably heard it said before that any ailment can be traced back to the microbiome in your gut. Or as I like to say "happy gut, healthy life." Collagen can help form connective tissue that heals the gut lining and protects against leaky gut. It also helps break down proteins and uses amino acids to heal cell walls.
- The liver is in charge of the body's detox systems. Any foreign or toxic substance runs through there to properly get removed from the body. But, all this takes a toll on our liver. Glycine, an amino acid found in collagen, helps protect your liver from damage when it soaks up those few extra drinks your had on Friday night.
- Collagen can improve cardiovascular health with two amino acids proline and arginine. Proline helps remove fat from artery walls and protects our body's cartilage as we get older. Arginine helps with better blood circulation by widening arteries and relaxing blood vessels and muscle cells.
- Another awesome form of collagen you can get is from bone broth.
- Pictured above is Thrive Market Collagen (you can view my Thrive Market cheat sheet here). Another great brand is Vital Proteins Collagen (they have a wide variety of different collagen products to fit dietary needs.) I used this brand for about 5 months until Thrive came out with theirs because it is a better price point.
- Another brand I love is Sdara Skincare Collagen! Prime it HERE.
Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie (green items are shoppable links)
- 1.5 cups water or nut milk
- 1 handful of ice
- 1 handful of spinach or other greens
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein ( I use Juice Plus and absolutely love it. If you want to learn more about Juice Plus let me know. This link is to my personal rep's website.)
- 1 Tbs. of ground flax seed
- 1 large spoonful of almond butter
- 1/2 Tbs. chia seeds
- 1/4 Tbs. cocoa nibs
- 1 gram spirulina
- 3-5 mint leaves