Beautycounter Sunscreen: Safe, Effective and a Spray
It's sunscreen season and now that a new safe spray sunscreen has moved into town there is no reason to use one that is filled with endocrine disrupting or polluting ingredients. Shop Countersun HERE.
Let's break down the two different types of sunscreen first:
- Chemical Sunscreen: absorbs UV radiation into your skin and the chemical bonds break down rays and release them as heat. Chemicals that filter include oxybenzone and avobenzone. Both of these are known to irritate the skin and oxybenzone has been named the culprit of harming our coral reefs and oceans.
- Physical or Mineral sunscreen: physically blocks the rays from your skin by using mineral components like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide to reflect the suns rays. This makes it really safe for sensitive skin, babies and kids.
What are the different rays that we need protection from?
- UVB: these are the burning rays
- UVA: aging rays. These penetrate deeper into the skin causing free radical damage which can lead to wrinkles and age spots on skin.
- Blue Light: oxidizing aging rays. Think light from all of our smart devices and blue light is in the atmosphere when the sunlight collides with air molecules.
Facts about Beautycounter's Countersun that make it safe and innovative:
- Non-nano particles: nano particles are so small that can absorb deep into the skin and blood stream. The large particles that are used in Beautycounter's formula have no chance of absorbing into the skin.
- California Poppy: antioxidant rich ingredient that helps to reinforce the skin against oxidation aging that comes from blue light like wrinkles and hyper pigmentation.
- Broad Spectrum: protects against UVA and UVB rays.
- Non-Aerosol Air Technology: The Countersun Mist uses a bag on valve system to easily dispense the formula without aerosol or nasty propellants into the air or on your skin.
What's the deal with SPF (Sun Protection Factor):
- SPF only measures protection against UVB rays.
- SPF 15 protects from 93% of UVB rays
- SPF 30 protects from 97% of UVB rays
- SPF 50 protects from 98% of UVB rays
Tips for using Mineral/Physical Sunscreen:
- Reapply every 2 hours
- Application is more important than SPF number. Make sure to cover every area that will be exposed to the sun.
- UVA (aging rays) can penetrate through glass and cloud coverage. If you are driving on long commutes use the Countersun Stick to cover your face and hands. Hello left cheek!
- Water resistance is not the same as waterproof (which has not been fully created yet), so make sure to reapply after sweating or getting in the water.
- The Countersun Mist sprays on white so you can see where the formula actually lands on the skin. No more days of assuming you covered your whole body. Gently rub in for a clear, oil free application.