Physical Sunsceen vs. Chemical Sunscreen
The sun is out and it's time to restock that sunblock errr sunscreen...what is the difference? Honestly I used to use "sunscreen" and assumed "sunblock" was an older term primarily used by people in the North. WRONG! Turns out there is a reason for both names and a correct way to use them. Now I finally know the difference between "sunscreen" and "sunblock."
- Use a sunblock, which is physical blocker rather than a sunscreen or chemical blocker.
- The best physical blocker is zinc oxide, especially for UVA-UVB protection.
- Did you know that chemical sunscreens work by absorbing the suns rays rather than deflecting them? Not helpful!
- The most common chemical blocker, oxybenzone, is also a known endocrine disruptor and it is known to harm our coral reefs.
- Don't forget the power of a good ole' hat, shirt or SHADE!